USA, 27 June 2023: The Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of Governments (OKI) has awarded nearly USD 2.5m in federal funds to support the construction of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations in Ohio and Kentucky.
Expansion of Charging Infrastructure
OKI has announced that six of its partners will receive grants to build charging stations at various locations, including parking facilities, government offices, and public parks. The selected projects for funding from OKI’s Carbon Reduction Program include:
- CVG Airport: USD 750,000 will be allocated to install four DCFC (Direct Current Fast Chargers) stations at the rideshare vehicle staging lot on Lincoln Road in northern Kentucky.
- 3CDC: USD 558,751 will be used to locate Level 2 EV charging stations at five parking facilities in Over-the-Rhine and the Central Business District in Ohio. These include Washington Park Garage, Mercer Garage, 1400 Vine Surface Lot, Fountain Square Garage, and Fifth and Race Garage.
- City of Covington: USD 500,000 has been granted to install a mix of Level 2 and DCFCs at four parking facilities, namely Rivercenter Garage, Mid-town Garage, Pershing Lot, and Philadelphia St. Lot.
- City of Hamilton: USD 441,152 will support the placement of four DCFCs at the City’s Public Works facility and Compressed Natural Gas filling station, as well as two DCFCs at the 141 Market Street parking lot.
- Green Township: USD 213,000 will enable the installation of two DCFC stations at the Government Complex parking lot adjacent to Veteran’s Park in Ohio.
- Hamilton County Department of Environmental Services: USD 32,610 has been allocated to place four Level 2 chargers at their Civic Center Dr. location.
Enhancing Regional Charging Network
The expansion of EV charging infrastructure across Cincinnati and northern Kentucky is crucial as more people adopt EVs. OKI’s Carbon Reduction Program addresses the need for charging options in areas where they would not otherwise be built, filling critical gaps. The strategic placement of charging stations near popular locations, such as Green Township’s administration and Veterans Park complex, ensures accessibility for both residents and visitors.
Importance of the Carbon Reduction Program
The Carbon Reduction Program, established by Congress as part of the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, plays a vital role in supporting the construction of EV charging infrastructure. The program’s first year of funds in 2023 has paved the way for these projects, with each grant covering up to 80% of the project’s cost, while the remaining 20% is sourced locally.
Meeting Growing Demand
With 71% of Americans expressing interest in buying or leasing an EV, as reported by Consumer Reports, the demand for EVs is rapidly increasing. CVG Airport’s CEO, Candace McGraw, acknowledges the growing demand from passengers, employees, and ride-share companies. McGraw highlights the importance of the Carbon Reduction Program in helping them prepare for the continued EV demand at CVG.
The funding of nearly USD 2.5m from OKI will contribute to the installation of new EV charging stations in Ohio and Kentucky. This significant investment supports the region’s efforts to meet the growing demand for EVs and develop a reliable and accessible charging network. By strategically placing charging stations at various locations, including airports, government buildings, and parking facilities, the project aims to provide convenient charging options for EV owners and encourage the adoption of electric vehicles in the region.